Friday, June 26, 2009


I finally got around to painting the second orange boy. I was away from the paintbrush for too long and so this one is stiffer - but he IS a more serious boy then his brother Pi. I had a lot of trouble from the start. The colours wouldn't behave and were difficult to move to create value. I started with quinacrodone sienna which settled very flat and even - not an effect I care for so I switched to burnt sienna and quin gold for my major oranges. The background gave me the willies as well. I wanted some burgandy in it since in real life he was sitting on a burgandy leather chair with a denim cushion. The burgandy didn't give me the effect I wanted so I went over it with ultra blue and burnt sienna - the paint wasn't dry enough and so I got some odd blossoms - urgh! As you can see, it's still wet! When it dries completely, I will look at touching up some of the worst of the bleeds - particularly the one on the left above the cushion.

10 x 13 watercolour


Krista Hasson said...

Sue, I love it, he looks fantastic. I like the background blossoms and all.

Patty said...

I like it Sue! I'm glad you are back painting again!

Missed you at the Meet!


Melange said...

I love your work. Just found your blog through selling you a book on amazon. beautiful work!1